Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wednesday, April 11, 2007:

Today marks 3 full weeks in country. The last few days the weather has been beautiful and we have been as busy as ever. The Peace Corps has planned a weekend trip for current trainees to stay and visit with current volunteers. I am going to the city of Fier (pronounced Fear) Friday with one of my site mates from Belsh. Today we had language class for about 5 hours in the morning then had a meeting with our community development coordinators. After lunch Rob, Andrew and I took a walk around the town to do some more exploring.
We went to a part of town we had never been to and came across what appeared to be an abandoned school. It was a typical communist building with very brutal concrete construction. We were curious and started to poke around, and in trying to figure out how to get into the building we met 3 kids playing soccer. They told us they were playing soccer inside and invited us to join. For 30 minutes we played on the second floor of this school, the inside was in shambles and there was dirt and hay everywhere. We played around concrete columns and a few times the ball was kicked out of broken windows and needed to be fetched. I hadn’t the slightest idea I could’ve had so much fun when I set out on the walk and it was probably the best time I’ve had here in Albania.After a tough week of stress and a few downs a fun, social, active engaging activity was something that really boosted my spirits. Although things of late have gotten me down a little, I am really starting to feel at home here. I can’t say enough how great the people are. Every now and then an Albanian man will approach me and speak in English. I’ve had many free coffees shared with these men. And the best part of my day is when I walk down the street towards my house and pass a store where two little girls live. They must be between the age of 5 and 8, but every day when I walk past they always run from the back of the building to the porch and yell “HELLOOOOO” waving and smiling from ear to ear. It must be the only English word they know, but there has yet to be a day that I haven’t had the blessing of seeing those two girls greet me on my way home. Regardless of how upset or stressed I may be, that always lifts my spirits

2 comments:

& said...

I religiously check this every day--You need to start posting more to keep up with your rabid fan base.

Seriously though, big hugs from Boston!!!

Kathy said...

Hey Michael!
I'm so glad you were able to add to the joy of your days in Albania. Kids are great - that's one of the reasons I keep teaching, and the examples you gave a the perfect reasons!

5 hours of language must leave you reeling a bit after such intensive instruction. Are you able to try any of the Albanian language you have learned over your free coffees with those who speak English?

Know you are thought of daily, and I am sending pictures, as soon as I can get them developed!

Love you
Kathy